Home Forums Other Ba Da Boom…

This topic contains 45 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  Drift 2 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 46 total)
  • Author

vanwadreamer
    Participant

Hello All. Another day another shooting in our country. I’m sure our President will come out and speak on the Tennessee shootings. I’m wondering when he will address the Steinle family. It only makes sense but I guess that’s where the problem lies. The more time that passes the more I think no one from the Presidents office will reach out to the family. Back to work, see you all later.

jacjak
    Participant

I know the guy has about a hundred movies, but my favorite Morgan Freeman…. ‘Through the Wormhole w/ Morgan Freeman’. And, ‘The History of us All’ was great… he narrated. He has a way of speaking and voice tone that’s easy to listen to. And, he speaks slow enough. So many speakers seem to rush their words. I’ve never watched all of ‘Slavery and the Making of America’ but he was the narrator with that one too.

I agree with his take on Black History Month also. If it’s the accomplishments of a person that’s to be commemorated or celebrated, then do it. But, to make the accomplishment of an individual about race first by segregating their honor into one particular month, then they are grouped by race and not with their peers, because of race. Explaining badly, but it seems self-defeating in trying to overcome the years of those individuals being ignored in the first place because of their race. It’s not like they’ll ever ‘catch up’. Single individual, single accomplishments, single recognition. Pooling them all together into a month long lump more or less puts you back where you started…with no one really knowing who it is that’s being recognized or for what.

I can’t tell you one name celebrated in BHM other than those I learned previous, like Geo. W. Carver, or someone I happened to ‘discover’ myself on my own, like Ray Charles or Alex Haley. For those who were left out of the recognition down through the decades because of race, all those historic figures who had uphill battles just to accomplish anything, they probably feel differently, especially now that recognition is possible. That I can see. People are s l o w, really slow when it comes to changing bad habits, like seeing race first, but eventually it will come about that race will not be what we see…. unless race is intentionally made part of the equation. If the accomplishments warrant national recognition, then so be it, let’s stop doing it by race, white or black or mixed, like Mariah Carey or Yo-Yo Ma. There’s a LOT of accomplished people out there, some very much so, always has been. Even more so now.

jacjak
    Participant

vanwadreamer-

The Steinle shooting was mentioned here, tho not specifically. You’ll find it under the Forum titled Politics, both under ‘Candidates keeping it interesting’ with a reference to the next Willie Horton, and also under ‘Leave it to FAUX’.

Hawk
    Participant

So, Vanwa, I suppose you are blaming the President for all these shootings?

Drift
    Participant

I hit a deer Saturday, out near Vernonia, while doing around 50 MPH.
    The deer didn’t make it. I did.

I don’t think the bike’s too bad, though the carburetor was knocked clear off. I’ve got a broken wrist, leg and a few other places that are rather painful. Don’t you hate bruised ribs? Man, I hate bruised ribs.

My jacket, pants and boots are toast. They served me well though, “They only need to work once.”

I won’t be pitching shoes for a while. Dang it.

Hawk
    Participant

Holy crap!!! Are you in the hospital? Anything I can do for you?

nailingit
    Participant

Drift

Glad you’re alive my forum friend! Sorry about your injuries. At least it sounds like you and your ride are repairable. Hope you heal well. I checked your CAPNDRIFT blog a couple days ago. Sounds like you’ll have time to pen something? Take care.

Drift
    Participant

No, I’m not in the hospital, I’m home. I expect a call for an appointment with ortho (leg and wrist) for later this week. I’m good, Hawk, thank you for your offer. My daughter lives next door. She’ll check on me when she gets off work at 2:00. I could use some beer and today’s loto day ;^)

I was thinking maybe I’d get caught up on some reading and writing, nails. I haven’t posted on my blog for quite some time now. It might be a day or two before I pull something together though.

An old racing adage: Crashing sux.
    So true, so true.

Now, if you’ll excuse me, I think it’s time for my meds.

dee little
    Participant

answer: never
    no bennies in it for him

jacjak
    Participant

It’s good to hear you are okay… if ‘okay’ comes with broken wrists, bruised ribs, and a bike that needs major TLC. Deer are serious business! Hope help arrived FAST and you weren’t out in the middle of nowhere, especially alone. I always think of Vernonia as isolated and mountainous. Probably because I’ve never been there, they had a mud slide that cut them off from aid (if I’m remembering the right place), and I’ve only seen the signs from Hwy 26 in the Coast Range along with a ton of state forest land.

Drift
    Participant

I’d left from Fried Fred’s (*a character out of a book ;^) in Forest Grove with some other riders. Two were behind me when I went down. One came to my aid, the other waved at cars so we wouldn’t get ran over.

The EMTs showed up within a few minutes. I declined transport and a wrecker. The crew who was still at Fred’s came out with a pickup and loaded both me and the bike. The emergency crew stayed with us until we departed. Well, actually, the copper followed clear to Banks.

*Fred goes by Wild Bill these days and he’s the proprietor of the Iron Horse Garage. We served together in the Navy (USS America CV-66).
    http://www.ironhorse-garage.com/
    (new website still under construction)

nailingit
    Participant

Hey Drift

Just checking in and hope orthopedics and other going well.

Also hoping you don’t have Kaiser Ortho. KP ortho altered my life and changed my way of living in a bad way.

Cheers to quick healing. Man. One of our forum brethren went down! Get better Drift.

Hawk
    Participant

Nail, I had Kaiser do work on both of my knees. Miniscus tears. I’m pretty good now, before I could hardly walk.

nailingit
    Participant

Hawk

I’m glad your experience was a positive one..

roger
    Participant

Don’t worry about me – Take care of my ride!!!

I imagine you’ll be pitching shoes and doing road trips before too long. But don’t push it – old bones don’t heal as fast.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 46 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.