Home Forums Other BASEMENT

This topic contains 3,046 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  Drift 2 days, 23 hours ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 3,047 total)
  • Author

Hawk
    Participant

OK, here I be, in the basement.

Hey, what about those idiots hanging off the bridge. They should be arrested, it shouldn’t matter what they are protesting, what they are doing is illegal.

nailingit
    Participant

I for one admire their tenacity and drive. It takes some balz to do what they’re doing. It’s good to have an outspoken counterweight to big oil. After all, who gives a crap if the boat is late and drilling is delayed. Prices will rise regardless.

But I get the other point of view. And to add, it does take up OR resources and time. Hopefully there will be a reasonable outcome.

“They should be arrested, it shouldn’t matter what they are protesting, what they are doing is illegal.”

This ain’t no Tenement Square, at least not yet! 🙂

I think back to the Vietnam, civil rights, human rights, and so many other protests deemed illegal that have effected positive change.

Big bro will end up using force to end this. And considering public safety issues that is to be expected.

Drift
    Participant

I haven’t paid much attention, because I think folks getting all up-tight about what fuels their vehicles is a bit hypocritical. I suppose taking exception to where the raw oil is extracted from might have some validity, but still…

How about instead of blocking a ship, someone comes up with a way to make the ship a relic of old technology?

Though I’ve no idea of the rigging employed by those “cliff tents” (isn’t that what they are?) I think getting them down would be relatively easy; attach a wench to the line, detach the line and slowly lower the structures onto an awaiting Coast Guard boat.

Hawk
    Participant

Or, you could just cut the rope.

timerick
    Participant

I agree with you Hawk. I would just cut the ropes. Protesting is fine as long as it does not disrupt the lives of others. How many people were late or missed work because of this? Drift is right also. We need to come up with a alternative to oil if anything is going to be accomplished. Oil is not only used for fuel. It amazes me how many things we use oil for in our daily lives.

nailingit
    Participant

timerick

How many protests would be effective, if protests did not disrupt the lives of others?

timerick
    Participant

Point taken nail. But is it ok to take the rights away from others to make a point? Would it not be better for them if they worked to get things changed through congress? What they have done and are doing is dividing people. And I see not much good coming from that.

Drift
    Participant

Cutting the lines is what they want. I’ll bet you something shiny they are all prepared for a water landing, though I wonder if they drew straws to pick the drowning ‘victim’? After all, nothing will bring more sympathy than a needless death, eh?

Lowering them onto the deck of a waiting ship/boat would be anticlimactic.

I’d’a done it by now.

They’ve got their publicity (nation wide?), now the parties over…

Hawk
    Participant

Well the Federal judge says they have to pay a $2500 per hour fine for as long as they hang there. Wonder how much money they have.

nailingit
    Participant

timerick

One could easily say Vietnam and civil rights protests divided people as well. As far as getting something done in Congress, it ain’t gonna happen, especially given the subject matter and Congress’s current, and most likely (In the House anyway) republican majority for many years to come. They seem to have little interest in our environment, other than deregulating or reducing environmental standards of the companies causing concern

I’m not a big fan of this event by any means. It does disrupt, costs money, and if the case warrants police action, it increases the potential for something to go extremely wrong.

Drift’s assessment sounds right. These folks are hoping for a reaction like cutting the ropes. It would ramp up the attention factor. I wouldn’t be surprised if someone behind this cut a rope themselves.

This could have been nipped in the bud before it started, and in many countries it would have been. But I’m glad it wasn’t. This is kinda what America is all about. We have the freedom to be idiots and saints at the same time.

Personally I’m not too passionate on this subject. But I respect the cause, as well as the drive these people have to get their voices heard. We do need to be much wiser custodians of our planet Earth.

And besides, after watching a few Grace Potter vids my energy is spent. 🙂

Drift
    Participant

I just watched an AP video about the “Hangers.”

I guess they’re not in cliff tents. You know what I mean by cliff tent, right? The structures climbers hang out in on the face when the ascent takes an overnighter, or two.

The stuff hanging off the bridge looks makeshift.

Man, I hate to go here, butt … do they wait to ‘go’ ’til night?

nailingit
    Participant

Maybe they’ll pass the icebreaker baton to fellow enviro-heads. They’re fortunate it’s not raining.

I’m not one for heights! It would take something much more cause worthy to get me up there.

Say if…..

….if

Say if someone paid me seven figures and threw in a backstage pass to see Grace. That would do it.

nailingit
    Participant

What am I thinking.

50 grand would it.

@@@@@@@@@@

Props to luvit for suggesting the Basement, and Hawk for posting it. To this point kinda reminds me of Forum old.

nailingit
    Participant

Drift
    Participant

Two more bridges, Longview and Astoria?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 3,047 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.