Home Forums Other Global Events

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  nailingit 2 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

jacjak
    Participant

Couldn’t find a National or Global Forum so putting it as a topic in Other… Think we need a Science Forum too.

Does Pluto look decidedly like a Tim Burton character from Nightmare before Christmas to anyone else?

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/15/science/space/nasa-new-horizons-spacecraft-reaches-pluto.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&module=second-column-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news&_r=0

Drift
    Participant

Even though Pluto is an ice’r, notice how clean the surface is.
    I’ll bet that little tug of war between Goofy, er, I mean Pluto and Charon creates a bit of heat.

Coolness (yes, a cheap pun, but aren’t they all? ;^)

nailingit
    Participant

This is pretty cool, for a lot of reasons.

Because Pluto is the Roman god of the underworld, the scientists started assigning informal names to the regions, drawing on underworld entities from mythology and literature.
    A large splotch that resembles a whale was named Cthulu, a deity from a H.P. Lovecraft story. Other splotch names included Meng-Po, the goddess of forgetfulness in Chinese mythology; Balrog, a creature in J.R.R. Tolkiin’s “Lord of the Rings” books; and Vucub Came and Hun Came, death gods in Maya mythology.

“We got tired of calling it the dark spot on the left and the dark spot on the right,” said Jeffrey M. Moore, the leader of the geology, geophysics and imaging team.

___

Favorite H. P. Lovecraft story turned into film? Re-Animator rates up there. But ‘From Beyond’ gets my nod.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.