Home Forums Other SEX/DRUGS/ROCKNROLL

This topic contains 129 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  nailingit 1 year, 11 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 130 total)
  • Author

nailingit
    Participant

I don’t listen to many all girl bands. But when I do…

roger
    Participant

From a festival I was at – Black Oak had a pretty big following in the South in those days.

roger
    Participant

The last concert I saw in the old Spectrum in Philly, before moving to AZ later in ’76, was Ted Nugent. Crowd loved him back then.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGtdryPx17M

roger
    Participant

The last concert I saw in the old Spectrum in Philly, before moving to AZ later in ’76, was Ted Nugent. Crowd loved him back then.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGtdryPx17M

roger
    Participant

Never saw these guys live. Oh well.

roger
    Participant

Best rock ‘n’ roll song ever?

roger
    Participant

Or maybe this one?

roger
    Participant

roger
    Participant

roger
    Participant

roger
    Participant

nailingit
    Participant

I saw Black Oak around this same time, I think 73′. I dug BOA and had their first album.

The opening act was this group called ‘Montrose’, who was just releasing their first album.

Absolutely floored. Jaws to the floor. Ronnie lit the place up. Complete with Page-r-esq theremin. Add a mirrored Les Paul conducting laser beams from above on the guitar, in conjunction with the theremin, add Sammy Hagar before he went pop, plus playing every tune off a great 1st album, featuring guitar great Montrose, throw in a hit of clearlight and you have one of the best performances I’ve ever witnessed.

Then the main act. When Jim Dandy strutted hisself shirtless on stage playing ‘Jim Dandy To The Rescue’ thinking he’s all that, while wearing white leotards with something stuffed in his crotch, barking in that loud gravelly voice, lets just say it didn’t go over to well.

This was Vegas. We knew good music. We had Sinatra!:)

I had to leave into the third or forth song. I wanted to go to the park and watch the trees breathe. 🙂

roger
    Participant

I never heard of Montrose until around ’75 – Some DJ at Bucknell was playing them and I wasn’t too impressed. A few years later a buddy turned me on to their first album (something that DJ should have been playing) – Very good stuff.

Too bad there isn’t much video from that time – I kind of liked this song.

roger
    Participant

Musical tastes varied by region. In the South we loved this song – Up North, people were calling it a second rate attempt to follow on with the Stairway to Heaven musical progression bit. Whatever. The way I see it I got the best of both worlds, travelling back and forth between the two locations.

nailingit
    Participant

roger

Don’t know much about north v south take in music at the time, but out west, at least in Vegas, we dug the hell out of ‘Free Bird’, and Skynyrd as well. I say Vegas because that was my island, and we were generally in tune with the Frisco/LA scene. Not so sure about southern rock being prevalent in LA/Frisco, but it was extremely hot in Vegas. Marshall Tucker Band is a favorite from this genre. Lotsa good music for sure, and cutting edge times. Hard to beat a good Country/Blues/Rock infusion.

And Southern rock quite possibly would not have reached the heights that it did, at least not as quickly, (according to this docu I watched and how I remember it timeline wise) without the undaunted efforts of Duane Allman, leading what was to be, in my opinion, one of the greatest bands ever. ‘At the Fillmore East’ is in my top personal all time favorite top 5 recordings hands down, with ‘Eat A Peach’ hitting the top ten.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 130 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.