compiled by Columbian staff in 1989
In a small cemetery lying south of the Old Evergreen Highway just east of Southeast 164th Avenue lie the members of the pioneer Fisher family.
They are gone but not forgotten indeed, for the cemetery itself is called Fisher, as is the entire surrounding area.
It was in 1850 that the six brothers and sisters of the famous family left Missouri by wagon train. They included Solomon, John, Adam, Job, Ann Jemima and Rachel. Ann Jemima was married to William Mortimer Simmons while Rachel was to marry H.M. Knapp, another well-known pioneer of the east county area.
William and Ann Simmons brought five children with them, two of whom died on the trail, and took out a donation land claim east of 164th Avenue. Solomon also took out a claim, lying west of 164th. Adam Fisher's claim lay to the north, taking in what is now Cascade Park.
Solomon, who was to become the best-known member of the family, established a riverboat landing at the foot of 164th Avenue. This evolved into a community called Fisher's Landing, which at one time was considered for the county seat. The entire area today is known as Fisher's Landing, although the docks and most of the historic buildings are long gone.
Fisher's Landing continued to grow during the last decade of the 19th century and the first decade of the 20th. As late as 1911, a business directory listed four general merchandise stores, blacksmith shop, livery stable, cannery and other businesses, along with a school and churches.
During recent history, however, all of the businesses have disappeared and many of the pioneer homes have been torn down. All that remains of Fisher's Landing itself are a few rotting pilings along the edge of the Columbia River.