People in business
• Addison Jacobs has been awarded the Trustees Association of Community and Technical Colleges Award for Leadership for her work as chairwoman of the Clark College Board of Trustees. Jacobs, public affairs director for the Port of Vancouver, joined the board in 2000. Since then, Clark College has become the second largest community/technical college in Washington with new facilities at Columbia Tech Center and Washington State University Vancouver as well as its main campus in Vancouver’s Central Park. She’ll receive the award during the 2010 TACTC spring conference in Wenatchee on May 20-21.
• Jim Jacks, who works in MacKay & Sposito Inc.’s Vancouver office, was appointed to the Policy Consensus Initiative National Board of Directors. Jacks has been with MacKay & Sposito since 2008 and has 15 years of conflict resolution experience. The Policy Consensus Initiative is a national, nonpartisan, nonprofit organization that assists leaders in developing collaborative solutions to the problems they face in their communities. Its board is co-chaired by two governors, one Democrat and one Republican, and includes legislators, mayors and other leaders from 15 states. Founded in 1974, MacKay & Sposito offers civil engineering, land and construction surveying, land-use planning, landscape architecture and construction management services.
• Three board members and two supervisory committee members were elected April 26 at Columbia Credit Union’s 58th annual meeting in Vancouver. The elected volunteers will serve three-year terms until the 2013 annual meeting. Incumbents Phil Andrews, John Dingethal and Chuck McDonald were elected to the board of directors and incumbent Lowell McDougal and Martin Oreschnigg were elected to the supervisory committee.
• Vincent Girolami, a Vancouver Farmers Insurance agent, has completed the Career Agents Course at the University of Farmers in Agoura Hills, Calif.
• NAI Norris, Beggs & Simpson senior salesperson Doug Bartocci and associate vice president Garret Harper have obtained the certified commercial investment member designation. They join an elite group of more than 9,000 professionals across North America and in 30 countries abroad. The two each completed four core courses. Bartocci, an office broker, has been with NAI NBS since 2005. Harper, an industrial broker, joined NAI NBS in 2003.
• The National Institute of Fire Safety and Training announced that Troy Walton of Vancouver is the first certified NIFAST-certified inspector in Washington. NIFAST is a national organization recognized to be at the forefront of fire safety training in single family, multifamily and university housing.
• James Mains of Vancouver was elected to the board of directors for the Vancouver Farmers Market on April 21. Mains, owner of Main Distinction, a strategy, media and Web development business, is on the development board for the Vancouver Free Clinic.
Other business news
• Kaiser Permanente Center for Health Research has received the 2010 “Psychologically Healthy Workplace” award from the Oregon Psychological Association. OPA is the professional organization for Oregon psychologists and gives awards to businesses or organizations that excel in five areas: employee involvement, work-life balance, employee growth and development, health and safety and employee recognition.