If you go
• What: WSU Clark County Extension’s 12th annual Harvest Celebration Day tour of local farms.
• When: 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturday.
• Where: 10 farms around Clark County. For a map, visit http://clark.wsu.edu or pick one up at the extension office, 11104 N.E. 149th St., Brush Prairie.
• Cost: Free.
• Information:http://clark.wsu.edu or 360-397-6060.
A child visiting Northwest Organic Farm spotted an unfamiliar creature on neighboring property.
“What are those?” he asked Joyce Haines, who runs the farm with her husband, Greg Valdivia.
“Those are cows. It’s where milk your comes from,” Haines said.
“Na-uh,” the child replied in disbelief. “We get our milk from Winco.”
Exchanges like that motivate Haines and Valdiva to participate in Saturday’s tour of Clark County farms organized by the local Washington State University Extension.
“I like people to understand a little more where their food comes from,” Haines said.
As it happens, the farm tour coincides with Northwest Organic Farm’s tomato and garlic festival. Bluegrass bands will play, and children will have a chance to feed chickens.
Northwest Organic Farm is one of 10 participating in the tour showcasing agriculture in Clark County. The tour includes farms that produce flowers, vegetables, fruit and even alpacas.
“The whole point is try to connect people who consume food with those who produce it,” said Doug Stienbarger, director of the WSU Clark County Extension.
These farms will be open from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. for the tour:
• Compass Rose Alpaca Farm, 32820 N.W. Pekin Ferry Road, Ridgefield.
• Northwest Organic Farm, 17713 N.W. 61st Ave., Ridgefield.
• Creative Outlet Farm, 11602 N.E. 192nd Ave., Brush Prairie.
• Half Moon Farm, 14737 N.E. 159th St., Brush Prairie.
• Scented Acres, 13804 N.E. 117th Ave., Vancouver.
• Storytree Farm, 6227 N.E. 124th St., Vancouver.
• Bi-Zi Farms, 9504 N.E. 119th St., Vancouver.
• Kunze Farms, 6109 N.E. 53rd St., Vancouver.
• Livingston Mountain Alpacas, 29714 N.E. 60th St., Camas.
• Linda’s Dahlias, 1525 S.E. Washougal River Road, Washougal.