Man hurt in fire in critical condition

Officials say he doused girlfriend, house with gas

By Mark Bowder, Columbian Assistant Metro Editor



A 23-year-old Vancouver resident has been identified as the man who was severely burned late Friday after he allegedly doused his girlfriend with gasoline at a home in Sifton and then set the house on fire.

David Michael Miller was reported in critical condition Saturday evening at Legacy Emanuel Medical Center in Portland, suffering from burns on his hands, arms and legs, according to hospital officials and the Clark County Sheriff’s Office.

The woman, 23, was not identified by officials on Saturday. She was treated at Southwest Washington Medical Center after the incident and released.

Sheriff’s deputies and crews from the Vancouver Fire Department converged on the house at 12315 N.E. 83rd St. in Vancouver at 7:46 p.m. Friday after receiving a call that a man had doused his girlfriend with gasoline, spread gasoline around the house and fled, according to a bulletin from the sheriff’s office.

As authorities responded, they received calls that the house was engulfed in fire. Miller’s girlfriend, her sister, her 5-year-old son and mother had escaped the house and were safe.

Miller was found at a gas station at 7701 N.E. 117th Ave., a short drive from the house. Officials said he had been severely burned when he set the house on fire.

The case is being investigated by the Clark County Sheriff’s Office Major Crimes Unit and the Clark County Fire Marshal’s Office.

Mark Bowder: 360-735-4512.

Don't Do Stupid Stuff Mugs