Pool worker's mistake creates chlorine gas at YWCA

Published:

 

PORTLAND, Ore. (AP) -- A Portland Fire & Rescue spokesman says an apparent mixing error by a worker at the downtown YWCA swimming pool created chlorine gas Monday night. Spokesman Paul Corah says there were just five people in the building at the time and all reported eye irritation from the fumes. One was taken to a hospital for evaluation.

Corah says the worker reportedly mixed a gallon of chlorine with six gallons of muriatic acid. Both chemicals are used in pool maintenance.

Fire department hazmat crews were neutralizing the reaction late Monday night and plans called for ventilating the building overnight. Building management is finding other placement for residents of a homeless shelter on the upper floor.

Traffic was restricted near the area of the spill.

___

Information from: The Oregonian, http://www.oregonlive.com