Reported chemical mix prompts OR YWCA evacuation
Monday, August 15, 2011
PORTLAND, Ore. (AP) -- A Portland fire department spokesman says four fire trucks and a hazardous materials vehicle responded Monday night to a report of chemicals mixing at the downtown Portland YWCA. The Oregonian reports (http://bit.ly/pM2ovi) that the building was evacuated. Fire spokesman Paul Corah says at least two people reported breathing problems.
The newspaper says a gallon of chlorine and six gallons of muriatic acid may have mixed. Muriatic acid is highly corrosive and caustic and is used as a cleaning agent.
Information from: The Oregonian, http://www.oregonlive.com