UPDATE: Driver arrested in connection with fatal head-on crash

Woodland man held on suspicion of vehicular homicide, vehicular assault




The Clark County Sheriff’s Office has arrested one driver in a Tuesday evening head-on crash in north Clark County that killed a Vancouver man.

Tyler G. Peabody, 20, of Woodland was released Wednesday from PeaceHealth Southwest Medical Center and booked on suspicion of one count of vehicular homicide and two counts of vehicular assault, according to a CCSO bulletin.

Wednesday night, Peabody was being held without bail, a jail employee said. Peabody is to make a first appearance in court Thursday morning.

Authorities also released what they believe to be contributing factors in the crash: excessive speed, alcohol and drugs, according to a sheriff’s office news release issued Wednesday.

Roy E. Thorp, 76, of Vancouver died in the collision. His passenger, 72-year-old Constance A. Jones of Vancouver, was flown by Life Flight helicopter to PeaceHealth Southwest with life-threatening injuries.

The driver of the other vehicle, Peabody, had been transported by ambulance to PeaceHealth Southwest Medical Center with injuries. His passenger, 23-year-old Patrick S. Wisniewski of Woodland, was transported by ambulance with injuries believed life-threatening.

As of Wednesday evening, Jones was listed in serious condition in intensive care. Wisniewski remained in intensive care but his condition had improved from serious to satisfactory, nursing supervisor said.

The crash occurred at 6:28 p.m. on the 1100 block of Northwest Hayes Road in far-north Clark County along the North Fork of the Lewis River.

Peabody was driving a 1992 Ford Mustang convertible westbound on Hayes Road. He was passing another vehicle in a no-passing zone on a large sweeping corner at a high speed when he lost control of the vehicle, according to the sheriff’s office.

Peabody’s vehicle started to rotate and crossed into the eastbound lane, colliding head-on with a 2002 Subaru Impreza driven by Thorp, according to police.

The Clark County Sheriff’s Office Traffic Homicide Unit is continuing to investigate the case.