UPDATE: One hurt in Vancouver house fire

By Mark Bowder, Columbian assistant metro editor

Published:

Updated: August 20, 2011, 9:58 PM

 
9906 N.E. 122nd Ave.

A man suffered minor burns Saturday, apparently while attempting to put out a fire that damaged a house on Northeast 122nd Avenue, according to the Vancouver Fire Department.

The fire was reported at 5:06 p.m. at 9906 N.E. 122nd Ave., and smoke was visible from a distance away, said fire Capt. Chris Moen.

Firefighters arrived seven minutes later and found brush and siding behind the house only smoldering, thanks to the efforts of two people with garden hoses, but discovered that fire had spread to the eaves and into the house’s attic.

One man was transported to a hospital with a burned foot. Moen said the injury was not serious. The man, who is believed to be one of the people who had been fighting the fire before crews arrived, was not identified.

Seventeen firefighters responded to the blaze and brought it under control in 8 minutes, Moen said, limiting the damage to a relatively small portion of the structure.

The blaze began in an unattended gas grill. Damage was estimated at $35,000 to the structure and $5,000 to the contents.

Moen said the fire was a good reminder to never leave a cooking appliance unattended.

Units from the Vancouver Fire Department and Clark County Fire District 3 responded.