Covington power surge sparks small appliance fires
Tuesday, December 6, 2011
COVINGTON, Wash. (AP) -- A fire in an underground electrical vault apparently caused the power surge that scorched appliances and caused small fires early Tuesday in a Covington neighborhood.
Firefighters were called about 2 a.m. to the community southeast of Seattle where residents reported hearing a loud pop and seeing sparks. Refrigerators, TV and computers were smoking. A sparking TV cable started a small fire on the exterior of one home.
KOMO-TV reports (http://is.gd/1KAjaz ) firefighters went door to door. They found the surge hit 14 homes. No one was hurt.
Puget Sound Energy crews responded to make repairs.
Information from: KOMO-TV, http://www.komotv.com/