Friday's Felida fire caused by electrical failure, officials say

By Paul Suarez, Columbian freelance

Published:

 

The Clark County Fire Marshal’s Office determined that the fire that damaged a Felida home on Friday was accidental.

The fire started with an electrical failure in a home theater subwoofer, Dawn Johnson, Fire District 6 spokeswoman, said in a release.

The fire was contained to the living room but caused heavy smoke damage throughout the split-level home, Johnson said. The fire caused an estimated $120,000 in damages to the strucuture and $70,000 to contents.

Sandra Scovil was the only person at the home Friday afternoon. She left the home for 20 minutes and returned to find the home filled with smoke, Johnson said.

Firefighters from Fire District 6, Clark County Fire & Rescue and the Vancouver Fire Department responded. The fire was contained within 15 minutes.

The family is being assisted by the American Red Cross.