Mental evaluation granted for alleged bank robber

He's accused of holding up Well Fargo near mall




A defense attorney has asked for a mental health evaluation for a 19-year-old Vancouver man accused of robbing a Wells Fargo bank and then turning a gun on a police officer.

Stephen A. Lubeck was set to be arraigned Monday on charges of first-degree robbery and two counts of second-degree assault. But his defense attorney, Robert Vukanovich, requested a mental health evaluation by a Western State Hospital psychologist to determine if he’s fit to proceed to trial.

Clark County Superior Court Judge Rich Melnick approved the request and set a review hearing on Lubeck’s competency for Jan. 23.

Meanwhile, Senior Deputy Prosecutor Kasey Vu said Monday that he anticipates filing more charges as he receives additional police reports from investigators. The two assault charges relate to Lubeck’s alleged actions with a gun against a bank employee and a responding police officer.

Prosecutors said Lubeck was shot in the leg by police after fleeing from the bank branch on Vancouver Mall Drive the afternoon of Dec. 1. Lubeck allegedly pointed the gun at patrons and ordered them from the building. Then, he ushered two bank employees into the bank vault. He

escaped with $300,000, prosecutors said.

Lubeck ran south from the bank and behind the Ross Dress for Less store, according to a probable cause affidavit by Vancouver police Detective Wally Stefan.

When confronted by Vancouver police Officer Jeffrey Anaya, Lubeck allegedly pointed the gun — believed at that point to be a semiautomatic pistol — and told Anaya to shoot him or he would shoot in five seconds, investigators said.

Anaya fired his gun, hitting Lubeck in the upper leg. One of the multiple rounds hit and shattered the back window of the officer’s patrol car, which was parked in the area, an investigator said.

After his arrest, Lubeck told investigators that he wanted to “get in a shootout with police” and was upset the officer didn’t kill him, according to court documents. The gun Lubeck was allegedly carrying was a BB gun.

Lubeck was taken to PeaceHealth Southwest Medical Center, where he was hospitalized for several days before being booked into the Clark County Jail.

Anaya was placed on paid leave, pending the outcome of an investigation, which is standard practice after police shootings.