Readers’ Top 10
In online poll
- Lousy economy persists.
- Downtown makeover.
- ‘Gang Green’ drug raids.
- Murder-suicides by fire.
- Bears baseball plan.
- Abuse cases.
- Columbia River Crossing.
- First Independent Bank.
- Condit Dam.
- Davy Crockett cleanup.
TOTAL ONLINE VOTES: 275In newsroom voting
UFO spotted in East Vancouver turns out to be high-tech kite; Downtown biomass plant proposed, rejected; state Rep. Jim Jacks resigns in 49th District, Sharon Wylie wins his seat; Census means redistricting in the 3rd; Election (city council races, David Madore candidate slate, C-Tran’s Proposition 1 passes); Congresswoman Jaime Herrera Beutler’s first year in office; Coldest spring and summer since 1955; Occupy Vancouver; BPA power line discussions; Prominent deaths (Dale Beacock, Hal Dengerink, Dollie Lynch, Harriet Wilson); High-profile court cases (Bethany Storro sentenced, ‘America’s Most Wanted’ Michael D. Collins resentenced); “Wheel of Fortune” jackpot divorce; Teens accused of shooting cats; Value Motel criticisms; Woman accused of trying to sell baby at Taco Bell.
Top 10 Web-hit stories of 2011
- Washougal standoff and murder/suicide
- ‘Operation Gang Green’ drug raid and court appearance
- Breaching Condit Dam: before, during and after
- Tuan Dao sets fire to house, killing himself and five children
- Crowd pulls few punches at town hall with Rep. Jaime Herrera Beutler
- Was that a flying saucer hovering over east Vancouver?
- Fatal collision between C-Tran bus, pedestrian /victim identified
- Young man jumps from I-205 bridge
- Off-duty police officer found dead in woods
- Couple allegedly imprisoned autistic boys
Top 10 of 2010
- Economic struggle.
- Bethany Storro case.
- Cowlitz casino.
- Herrera Beutler vs. Heck congressional race.
- ‘Gavel down!’
- Hospitals merge.
- (tie) Agencies cut budgets.
- (tie) I-5 bridge (Columbia River Crossing).
- Charges dismissed against former policeman in child sex-abuse case; DNA clears two men convicted in 1993 rape.
- Local elections.