BRUSH PRAIRIE: Sheriff’s deputy, fire battalion chief force doors of smoking trailer open to find boy
Originally published July 13, 2011 at 8:02 p.m., updated July 13, 2011 at 8:19 p.m.
Firefighters and sheriff’s deputies were concerned Wednesday evening when they learned a 5-year-old boy was locked in a bedroom of a trailer at Country Manor in Brush Prairie — and light smoke was coming from the home.
Rescuers with Fire District 3 rushed to the manufactured home community at 15619 N.E. Caples Road at 6:48 p.m. and arrived quickly from Station 31, only three miles away, said Battalion Chief Jeff Stewart.
Seeing the light smoke but no one inside, a sheriff’s deputy forced the locked front door open. Stewart, wearing his turnout gear, said he went inside, forced a locked bedroom door open and found the boy sleeping inside.
As it turned out, the smoke had been coming from burnt food in the oven, and hadn’t spread to the home itself. The boy was not injured.
The boy’s siblings, 13 and 15, had accidentally locked themselves outside. One called the father, who called 911, Stewart said.