Diamond Lake algae levels prompt OR health warning
Friday, July 29, 2011
PORTLAND, Ore. (AP) -- Oregon public health officials have issued a warning about high algae levels in Diamond Lake just north of Crater Lake National Park.
The Oregon Health Authority and Douglas County Health Department officials said Friday that water monitoring has confirmed the presence of blue-green algae that can produce toxins harmful to humans and animals.
Swallowing or inhaling water droplets should be avoided, as well as skin contact with water by humans or animals.
Drinking water from Diamond Lake is especially dangerous. Health officials advise campers and other Diamond Lake visitors that toxins cannot be removed by boiling, filtering or treating the water with camping-style filters.