Not guilty plea in Barefoot Bandit case in Seattle
Thursday, June 9, 2011
SEATTLE (AP) -- Colton Harris-Moore, who gained a popular following as the "Barefoot Bandit," pleaded not guilty to all charges Thursday in federal court in Seattle.
The 20-year-old is accused of a two-year cross country burglary spree in stolen cars, boats and planes -- some of the crimes allegedly committed while he was barefoot.
His lawyer, John Henry Browne, and Assistant U.S. Attorney Darwin Roberts had previously said in court they hoped to have a plea deal reached by the end of last month that would provide the framework for resolving state and federal charges.
The deal would have allowed money from book or movie deals to pay restitution to crime victims. But in the last few days, prosecutors have said they're reluctant to let Harris-Moore sell his story.