More about Sean
(Steven Lane/The Columbian)
• Most influential person: “John Wayne. (My dad) got me hooked on him when I was 5. John Wayne always does the right thing, even when it’s bad. He’s never wrong. He never takes orders. He gives them.”
• Favorite movie: “Rio Bravo. It’s John Wayne.”
• Favorite books: “Hell, I was there” by Elmer Keith, adventures of a Montana cowboy and big game hunter. He also is in the middle of reading “The Man-eaters of Tsavo” about railroad bridge workers in Africa who were killed by lions. “I don’t like fake stories. I like real stories,” Keller said.
• Recorded the longest throw in the javelin in the nation this spring among high school athletes.
• Set the state record with that nation-leading throw of 232-feet, 1-inch.
• Won the Class 4A state title with a throw of 220 feet, a state meet record.
Next year and beyond
• Keller said he wants to throw the javelin more than 250 feet his senior year. Before that, he has a summer full of events, including the Junior Olympics and Junior Nationals.
“After all the interviews I had, I got some time to think about it. And I still didn’t process it.”
Referring to the moments following his state championship in the javelin.
Rest of All-Region team
• Grayson Anderson, so., Mountain View: Placed fifth at 3A state in high jump with mark of 6-4.
• Kevin Boyd, sr., Skyview: Placed third at 4A state in 400; ran both relays (first and third) at state meet.
• Brendan Casey, sr., Washougal: 2A state champion in pole vault; runner-up in javelin.
• Thomas Cocks, sr., Camas: Placed fifth at 3A state meet with season-best mark of 13-9.
• Dylan Croeni, sr., Washougal: 2A state champion in 3,200 meters; placed fourth at state in 1,600.
• Sam Ferenchak, sr., Union: 4A state runner-up in javelin; state’s 6th best for all classifications.
• Jon Lawson, sr., Prairie: 3A state champ in shot put, discus; state’s best mark in discus for all classifications.
• Brad Michael, sr., Skyview: Placed 2nd at 4A state in 400; 5th in 200; ran on state-champion 1,600 relay.
• Zach Olivera, sr., La Center: Had state’s 7th-best pole vault mark at any classification before season-ending injury.
• David Reinhardt sr., Battle Ground: Placed fifth at 4A state in high jump with mark of 6-4.
• Jacob Troupe, sr., Union: Placed fifth at 4A state in high jump despite injury-plagued senior season.