Minor fire reported at Vancouver quarry
Monday, June 13, 2011
On-site workers at Cemex, which provides cement and concrete products to local contractors, put out a small fire in its heating tank Monday morning before firefighters arrived.
Vancouver Fire Capt. Kevin Murray said the fire was reported at 9:13 a.m. Cemex is at 18208 S.E. First St.
The company uses propane burners to heat and liquefy asphalt, Murray said. It was during that process that a fire started.
Several engines arrived to find the fire already extinguished. The damage was believed to be minimal.
A shop building at what was then called Western States Asphalt Co. was destroyed by a fire in 2004.