Prosecution finishes case in Casey Anthony trial
Tuesday, June 14, 2011
ORLANDO, Fla. (AP) -- Prosecutors have finished presenting their case against Casey Anthony, the Florida mother accused of murdering her 2-year-old daughter Caylee.
The prosecution rested Wednesday after 19 days of testimony. The defense is expected to begin with its case Thursday.
Anthony's parents said she disappeared with her daughter in June 2008. They recovered Anthony's car from a towing company and said it smelled like a dead body. When they found Anthony after she'd been missing a month, she told them a nanny kidnapped Caylee.
Detectives said Anthony told them multiple lies about her daughter's whereabouts. The girl's remains were found months later in woods near her grandparents' home. Investigators say she had been suffocated by duct tape wrapped around her head.
Anthony's attorneys say Caylee accidentally drowned and that Anthony's father helped her dump the body. He denies that.