Ore. boy burned while playing with gasoline

Published:

 

BEAVERTON, Ore. (AP) -- A fire official says a 12-year-old boy in Beaverton, Ore., who was using gasoline to light plastic army figurines on fire was seriously burned when he was engulfed by fuel vapors Thursday night.

Tualatin Valley Fire and Rescue spokesman Brian Barker says a police officer driving past a home saw the boy on fire in the driveway. Bystanders also tried to extinguish the flames.

The boy was taken to Legacy Emanuel Medical Center in Portland.

Barker notes it's not just the liquid gasoline that's flammable, but also the vapors in the air.

___

Information from: The Oregonian, http://www.oregonlive.com