• Fired a 5-under-par 67 in the second round of the district tournament last fall, erasing a three-stroke deficit to win by three strokes.
• Traveled on the weekends to several tournaments throughout the Western United States during the winter break between the fall regular season and the spring state championship.
• Broke par on consecutive days in dismal weather conditions to win the Class 1A state title.
More about Brett
• Favorite movie: “Starsky and Hutch, because I’ve been told I look like Ben Stiller with the curly hair.”
• TV: “I don’t watch any series. I usually just want The Golf Channel.”
• Favorite book: “Catcher in the Rye. I just recently read that.”
• Favorite golfer: “Graeme McDowell. Ever since he beat Tiger in a playoff. Since then, he has shown he could pull off some clutch moments.”
Next year and beyond
• A junior who is better than a scratch golfer, Johnson expects to compete for another state title next year. Also, several Pac-10 golf programs have expressed interest in him.
“My dad told me a quote (from violinist Jascha Heifetz). Something like, ‘If I don’t practice one day, I notice. If I don’t practice two days, everybody notices.’ That’s how I feel.”
Referring to his daily work on his golf game.
Rest of All-Region team
• Alistair Docherty, jr., Union: 4A GSHL player of the year; 4A district champion; 12th at state.
• Hayden Christensen, sr., Hockinson: First team 2A GSHL; third at 2A district; fourth at state.
• Nick Huff, so., Hockinson: 2A GSHL player of the year; 2A district champion; sixth at state.
• Tanner Maahs, sr., Prairie: 3A GSHL co-player of the year; 3A district champion.
• Connor O’Neill, sr., Washougal: First team 2A GSHL; third at 2A district; 14th at state.
• Andrew Spicer, sr., Union: First-team all-4A GSHL; placed third at 4A district; 21st at state.