Vancouver Marathon begins to gear up
Expo opens today at downtown Hilton
Friday, June 17, 2011
Bart Yasso has raced on every continent.
In advance of Sunday’s Vancouver USA Marathon, the decorated runner and author of “My Life on the Run” will be a featured speaker during a fitness event at the Hilton Hotel in downtown Vancouver.
Yasso’s appearance is part of the two-day Fit Right NW Sports and Fitness Expo. The expo is open to the public and is the hub of pre-race activity for the marathon and half-marathon races that takes place Sunday morning.
The expo the place for runners to register or to pick up their participant packets for any of the weekend’s races. About 40 exhibitors are expected to participate in the expo, which is open to the public 2-7 p.m. today and 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. on Saturday.
About 2,800 runners have registered for the races, 1,000 of them for the full marathon, according to race director Brian Davis of Energy Events. Those who did not register in advance can do so today and Saturday during the expo.
The 26.2-mile Vancouver USA Marathon and 13.1-mile half marathon start and finish at Esther Short Park in downtown Vancouver. An awards ceremony and post-race party will take place in the park.
On Saturday, the Freedom 5K fun run and walk is expected to draw several hundred participants to downtown Vancouver. That event starts at 10 a.m. at Esther Short Park, and will be followed at 11 a.m. by a pair of kids races.
Because of the races, several streets in downtown Vancouver will be closed at times this weekend, and flaggers will control traffic along the race course and at major intersections.
Yasso is scheduled to speak at 4 p.m. today, and at 9 a.m., and 2 p.m. on Saturday at the expo.
Race director Brian Davis is scheduled to give a presentation about the race courses at 5:30 p.m. today and at noon and 4 p.m. on Saturday.
Among the special events affiliated with the Vancouver USA Marathon are:
• A “Kick off Your (Business) Shoes” social event from 5-7 p.m. today at the Hilton Hotel is open to the public and will include hors d’oeuvres and drink specials.
• Beginning today, the feature-length documentary film Hood to Coast will be shown at the Regal City Center 12 in downtown Vancouver.
Vancouver USA Marathon
• All races start and finish at Esther Short Park, West Columbia and Eighth in downtown Vancouver.
• Freedom 5K, 10 a.m. Saturday.
• Kids runs (ages 7-12, ages 3-6), 11 a.m. Saturday.
• Vancouver USA Marathon, 7 a.m. Sunday.
• Vancouver USA Marathon, 8:30 a.m. Sunday.
• Fit Right NW Sports and Fitness Expo (including race registration and check-in) 2-7 p.m. today and 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Saturday.
• No day-of-race registration for the marathon or the half marathon.
• Online: www.vancouverusamarathon.com.