Jack Warner quits FIFA; bribery charges dropped
Sunday, June 19, 2011
ZURICH (AP) -- FIFA says suspended executive Jack Warner has resigned from soccer's governing body and an investigation into bribery allegations against him have been dropped.
Warner also has quit as head of the soccer group representing the Caribbean and the regional body in which the United States competes.
Warner is a FIFA vice president who was suspended last month along with Asian soccer chief Mohamed bin Hammam over accusations of bribery during the presidential election.
FIFA says that because of Warner's "self-determined resignation" all ethics procedures against him "have been closed and the presumption of innocence is maintained."