Timbers MatchDay: New York at Timbers
Sunday, June 19, 2011
NEW YORK AT TIMBERS
When/where: 7 p.m. today at Jeld-Wen Field, Portland.
TV: Live on Root Sports (Comcast cable Channel 34, 734 HD); Galavision Spanish broadcast (Comcast cable Channel 619).
Radio: AM 750 (AM 940 Spanish broadcast).
Records: New York is 5-2-7, Portland is 5-6-2.
Why to watch: Two words: Thierry Henry. The French legend is past his prime, but one of the most effective goal scorers the game has known. The Red Bulls are a marquee team. The Timbers, losers of three in a row, are particularly hungry for a good result. Even without several of its stars because of Gold Cup play, New York brings a noteworthy side to Portland.
Forwards: Kenny Cooper, Jorge Perlaza.
Midfielders: Kalif Alhassan, Jack Jewsbury, Diego Chara, Darlington Nagbe.
Defenders: Rodney Wallace, David Horst, Eric Brunner, Jeremy Hall.
Goalkeeper: Troy Perkins.
Key alternatives: MF Sal Zizzo, F Eddie Johnson, MF Adam Moffat, MF Ryan Pore, GK Adin Brown.
New York Red Bulls
Forwards: Luke Rodgers, Thierry Henry.
Midfielders: Austin da Luz, Teemu Tainio, Joel Lindpere, Mehdi Ballouchy.
Defenders: Roy Miller, Stephen Keel, Carlos Mendes, Jan Gunnar Solli.
Goalkeeper: Greg Sutton.
Watch for: Not John Spencer. The Timbers head coach will not be on the bench for today’s game. He is serving a one-game suspension for being ejected from last weekend’s match against Colorado. He is allowed to speak to the team in the locker room before the match and at halftime, and can communicate with the bench, where assistant coach Trevor James will be in charge.
• Stephen Keel, who played for the Timbers USL Second Division team the last two seasons, is expected to start at central defender for New York. He landed with the Red Bulls after the Timbers decided not to offer Keel a MLS contract.
• Injury report: Timbers — Out: DF Mamadou Danso (shoulder); FW Bright Dike (Achilles rupture); MF James Marcelin (knee MCL sprain). Doubtful: MF Peter Lowry (quadriceps strain); Probable: GK Jake Gleeson (elbow sprain); FW Eddie Johnson (Achilles tendinitis). Red Bulls — Out: MF Carl Robinson (R knee contusion); DF Chris Albright (hernia surgery); Questionable: FW Luke Rodgers (plantar fasciitis); MF Joel Lindpere (foot contusion).
International absence — Timbers: Steve Purdy (El Salvador). Red Bulls: Rafael Marquez (Mexico); Dane Richards (Jamaica); Juan Agudelo, Tim Ream (USA)
Suspended — None. Suspended next yellow card — Jeremy Hall (Portland). Suspended after next two yellow cards — Rodney Wallace (Portland); Luke Rodgers (NY).
• Henry (seven goals in his last eight games) and forward partner Luke Rodgers (five goals this season) are the highest scoring pair of forwards in MLS this season.
“Henry and Rodgers have performed tremendously well together as a partnership,” Spencer said. “But if we approach the game in the same manner mentally and physically, pass the ball the way we did, I think we’ll cause teams problems.”
• Timbers defender Jeremy Hall played in 37 matches with the Red Bulls over his first two MLS seasons. The 22-year-old was acquired by Portland last November for a third-round pick in the 2011 MLS SuperDraft.
“I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t thinking about this game a little more,” Hall said this week. “The most important thing is at’s another good opportunity for us to bounce back and to get a win.”
• New York has missed more players because of the Gold Cup tournament than any other MLS Club. The Red Bulls expect to have attacking midfielder Dwayne De Rosario back for today’s game, but are still without both regular centerbacks.
Tickets: The game is sold out.
Gates open: 90 minutes before kickoff.
Getting there: Parking is extremely limited near the stadium. MAX light rail runs extra trains on match days.
Radio coverage: 750 AM has one-hour pregame and postgame shows.
More information: www.portlandtimbers.com.