People in business
• First Independent bank branch manager Tamara Ferguson has been elected president of the Salmon Creek Business Group, a networking group that represents more than 100 businesses in the area. Ferguson is manager of First Independent’s Salmon Creek branch. She has worked for the local bank for more than four years
• Matthew Bisturis, an associate in the Vancouver office of regional law firm Schwabe, Williamson & Wyatt, was recently elected president of the Parks and Recreation Foundation of Vancouver and Clark County. The foundation’s mission is to raise funds through public and private partnerships in support of the parks, trails and recreation programs of Clark County. Bisturis focuses his practice in the areas of business and real estate transactions.
• Marissa Loosli, who has a doctorate in physical therapy, has joined Washougal Sport & Spine Physical Therapy. Loosli is pursuing advanced training through the North American Institute of Orthopaedic Manual Therapy. The clinic is at 1700 Main St., Suite 222 in Washougal Town Square. * http://www.washougalsportandspine.com, 360-835-5349.
• Chequeta Nutt has been hired as a senior mortgage banker at the Vancouver-Portland branch of Evergreen Home Loans. A 25-year resident of the area, Nutt has 16 years of experience in the business.
• Sherry Duffy of Battle Ground has become an independent consultant with Tastefully Simple Inc., a national direct-sales company featuring easy-to-prepare foods. Duffy will conduct home taste-tasting parties.
• Debbie Gardner and Sarah Smith recently obtained their mortgage loan originator licenses for the state of Washington. Gardner has been working for State Farm Insurance for 28 years and became an agent in July 2000. Her agency, the Debbie Gardner Insurance Agency Inc. is in the EastRidge Business Park, on the corner of Northeast 99th Street and 117th Avenue. Smith, who graduated from Oregon State University, also studied abroad at the Vienna University of Business Administration and Economics. Smith has worked for State Farm since March 2010. * 360-883-1100.
• Several community leaders have joined the board of directors at the Children’s Center. The four new members are Wendy Kelley, Kelly Parker, Tonya Rulli and Darryl Walker. Kelley is a national IRA product manager for US Bank’s Wealth Management group. Parker has served as president and CEO of the Greater Vancouver Chamber of Commerce since October 2010. Rulli is a senior Clark County deputy prosecuting attorney, and Walker is a labor and employment counsel for the Clark County Prosecutor’s Office. The Children’s Center is a private, nonprofit state licensed community mental health agency founded in 1989 by a group of concerned citizens.
• Norris, Beggs & Simpson Companies, one of Portland’s oldest and largest full-service commercial real estate companies, is changing leadership. Jan Robertson, a longtime Vancouver resident, is the new CEO of NBS Companies. Robertson joined NBS in 1981 in an administrative position, and quilky rose into management, becoming a partner in 1993. Roger Qualman will be chief operating officer of NAI Norris, Beggs & Simpson, overseeing the brokerage and property management divisions. Qualman has managed the Vancouver office since 2000 and been with the company since 1985.
• Jim Mains, owner of Main Distinction, a marketing firm, and president of the Vancouver Farmers Market, was elected to the Leadership Clark County board of directors. The Leadership group was founded in 1993 to provide an opportunity for citizens to gain community knowledge and leadership skills that will enable them to be more effective in their community involvement.
New business news
• Vanessa Coco has started Sugar Mamma Catering, offering candy buffets for bridal showers, birthday parties, corporate, church or school events or other celebrations. Coco sets up the displays of candy. She also makes unique custom-made favors. * http://www.facebook.com/pages/Sugar-Mamma-Catering/134601163284308, 360-904-0654.
Other business news
• 3 Monkeys Tavern in Hazel Dell re-opened June 17 with new owners, Joe Hawes Jr. and Jeff Boltz. The tavern, 7917 N.E. Highway 99, has been completely remodeled and has new kitchen appliances, a new pool table, 10 televisions and a gaming section.
• Riverview Community Bank has been named as one of the 100 Best Companies to Work For in Washington by Seattle Business magazine. Riverview is a four-time recipient of the award and was 13 out of 26 in the mid-sized business category for 2011. Riverview Bancorp Inc. is headquartered in Vancouver, with assets of $859 million. It is the parent company of Riverview Community Bank.
The Columbian welcomes submissions about Clark County residents or businesses, as well as regional business events. Information must be received by noon of the Tuesday preceding the intended Sunday publication date. Send to email@example.com or fax 360-735-4491. Sales awards are not published.