Memorial service set for slain police dog Kane

Kane, stabbed while on duty, to be honored Thursday



A public memorial service for K-9 Deputy Kane has been scheduled for 1 p.m. Thursday at the Clark County Event Center at the Fairgrounds, 17402 N.E. Delfel Road in Ridgefield.

Kane, an 8-year-old Dutch shepherd, died in the line of duty after he was stabbed April 2. The dog had served the Clark County Sheriff’s Office for six years. He worked with Sheriff’s Deputy Rick Osborne.

A reception will follow the service.

Kane’s alleged killer, H. Keegan Graves, 31, of La Center, has pleaded not guilty to two counts of second-degree assault with a deadly weapon, and one charge each of harming a police dog, attempting to elude police and possessing a stolen vehicle. His trial is set for July 18 in Clark County Superior Court.

Graves remained in the county jail Monday night, held without bail, and has a court hearing May 11, a jail officer said

Clark County Sheriff Garry Lucas said Kane’s death is a “big loss,” a sentiment meant to convey more than the logistical loss of one tracking dog.

Department-wide, just about everyone has crossed paths with Kane, Lucas said. “It’s a pretty traumatic experience for the entire organization.”

The details of what happened April 2 emerged in court records. According to a probable cause affidavit, Graves attempted to crash into Deputy Osborne’s vehicle before smashing into a fence in the 8800 block of Northeast 107th Avenue and fleeing on foot.

That happened near the end of a pursuit that started at about 12:20 a.m. when Graves and Natasa Cresap, 22, of Yacolt were spotted southbound on Northeast 107th Avenue driving a vehicle with what appeared to be switched license plates.

Deputy Glenn Smyth pursued Graves for about three miles with his lights flashing as the suspect drove through yards, on sidewalks and against traffic. The records allege Graves attempted to strike Smyth’s vehicle before trying to hit Osborne’s car.

Kane found Graves in a nearby mobile home park. The dog, trained to bite and hold onto suspects, suffered multiple stab wounds.

The dog was rushed to St. Francis Animal Hospital, where he was pronounced dead. Kane had been scheduled to retire in 2012.

Graves and Cresap were taken into custody without further incident. Cresap was arrested on an outstanding Department of Corrections warrant.

Graves had been out on bail on charges stemming from a Jan. 8 arrest.

A Milwaukie, Ore., artist plans to carve from stone a likeness of Kane and donate it to the Clark County Sheriff’s Office.

Artist Mark McLean will do the work. Previously, he created and donated a sculpture of Dakota, a Vancouver police dog shot and killed in the line of duty in 2007.

McLean is among many who have reached out to the sheriff’s office about making donations since Kane’s death, said Sgt. Scott Schanaker. One woman emailed The Columbian to say she sent a $5,000 check.

The donation offers are coming from all over the country, as well as Canada and from Americans serving in Iraq.

A new dog can cost as much as $10,000 to acquire, plus thousands of dollars for training and equipment.