Orchards-area fire causes $20,000 damage

By

Published:

 

Vancouver firefighters cut a hole through the wall of a single-family structure overnight Wednesday to quell a garage fire east of Orchards.

Crews were dispatched at 1:44 a.m. to 15917 N.E. 85th St. for a reported fire. There were no obvious signs of a blaze outside, but black soot and smoke was visible around the doors, said Capt. Dave James of the Vancouver Fire Department.

An investigation revealed a fire in the garage that was contained to a hot water heater.

James said a crew cut a 15-foot hole in the side of the garage to access the fire rather than going through the overhead garage door, which would have given the fire an opening to attack an RV and truck. At that point, crews were able to easily get the fire out.

“It allowed them to get the smoke out and access the fire,” James said. “It’s also a lot less expensive to replace siding than an overhead garage door.”

An adult male and woman safely escaped the fire with their two dogs and a bird. Another bird was lost in the fire.

A damage estimate totaled $20,000, split between $15,000 for the structure and $5,000 for the contents. The fire was the result of an electrical failure in the water heater.

The property is owned by John Clary, according to Clark County property records.Orchards-area fire

causes $20,000 damage

Vancouver firefighters cut a hole through the wall of a single-family structure overnight Wednesday to quell a garage fire east of Orchards.

Crews were dispatched at 1:44 a.m. to 15917 N.E. 85th St. for a reported fire. There were no obvious signs of a blaze outside, but black soot and smoke was visible around the doors, said Capt. Dave James of the Vancouver Fire Department.

An investigation revealed a fire in the garage that was contained to a hot water heater.

James said a crew cut a 15-foot hole in the side of the garage to access the fire rather than going through the overhead garage door, which would have given the fire an opening to attack an RV and truck. At that point, crews were able to easily get the fire out.

“It allowed them to get the smoke out and access the fire,” James said. “It’s also a lot less expensive to replace siding than an overhead garage door.”

An adult male and woman safely escaped the fire with their two dogs and a bird. Another bird was lost in the fire.

A damage estimate totaled $20,000, split between $15,000 for the structure and $5,000 for the contents. The fire was the result of an electrical failure in the water heater.

The property is owned by John Clary, according to Clark County property records.