UPDATE: Cooking fire causes heavy damage to garage of Brush Prairie home

Damage estimated at $20,000

By Craig Brown, Columbian Metro Editor



A fire caused heavy damage in the garage of a Brush Prairie home Friday morning, but flames and smoke didn’t spread to other parts of the house, and no one was reported injured.

The fire was reported about 10:15 a.m. at 15700 N.E. 87th Circle, a home owned by Harninder Panglia and Renu Minhas.

Firefighters arrived to find a working fire in the garage that had started on a cooking apparatus there, officials said.

The fire was quickly extinguished but damage to the garage and its contents totaled about $20,000, said Capt. Kevin Murray with the Vancouver Fire Department.

“Luckily, the door from the garage to the house was closed,” which stopped flames and smoke from traveling farther, Murry said.

The fire is considered unintentional, but Murray said a couple of safety measures could have limited the damage.

Folks who are cooking should stay close and watch the stove or grill the entire time. And firefighters found no working smoke detector in the garage.

Clark County Fire District 3 helped with the call.

Don't Do Stupid Stuff Mugs