TACOMA, Wash. (AP) -- The Tacoma Fire Department says a mother and her young son have died in a house fire caused by a heater placed too close to combustibles.
Assistant Chief Jolene Davis says the fire began shortly before midnight Monday in the living room. When firefighters arrived the house was filled with smoke. The two people inside were found upstairs and were taken to a hospital, where they died.
The Pierce County medical examiner's office has identified the dead as 40-year-old Michelle McKim and her 2-year-old son Shantell Duncan.
Damage to the house is estimated at $35,000.