Ore. church furnace leak sends 9 to hospital
Wednesday, November 2, 2011
PORTLAND, Ore. (AP) -- Nine people were taken to the hospital after the furnace in a church basement where Bible study was under way leaked what an emergency squad spokesman called a "pretty serious" amount of carbon monoxide.
Paul Corah of Portland Fire & Rescue said about 15 people were in the Northeast Baptist Church Tuesday night when some started feeling sick, and a 911 call was placed. No condition reports were immediately available. Two more people were treated at the church.
KGW-TV (http://bit.ly/vpQIwa ) quotes Grant Coffey, a hazardous materials specialist, as saying the level of carbon monoxide in the basement was high enough to be fatal after prolonged exposure, at 1,400 parts per million. Elsewhere in the church, it was reported at 400 parts per million. He says that can make people extremely sick.
Coffey says the furnace had just been turned on for the fall.
Information from: KGW-TV, http://www.kgw.com/