Ducks turn out lights at UW

Oregon wins final game at 'old' Husky Stadium

By Greg Jayne, Columbian Opinion Editor



SEATTLE — On a night designed for memories of past glory, the final game at the old Husky Stadium was largely forgettable for the Washington Huskies.

Sixth-ranked Oregon took advantage of Washington turnovers in the first half and unleashed its prolific offense in the second half Saturday, pulling away for a 34-17 victory in Pac-12 play. It was the final game at Husky Stadium before the facility undergoes an extensive renovation.

Despite a stellar effort by the Huskies’ defense in the first two periods, Oregon turned two Eddie Pleasant interceptions of Keith Price passes into a 17-3 lead by midway through the second quarter.

LaMichael James scored on an 18-yard touchdown run on the Ducks’ first possession of the game, capping a three-play, 38-yard drive.

Oregon added a 4-yard TD pass from Darron Thomas to David Paulson, taking a 17-3 lead with 10:10 remaining in the first half. That capped a 34-yard drive that was set up by a 49-yard interception return from Pleasant.

But when the Ducks didn’t have exemplary field position, the Huskies’ defense was holding Oregon in check. The Ducks, who entered the contest averaging 47.5 points and 527 yards per game, were held to six first downs and 134 yards in the first half.

Washington closed within 17-10 on a 1-yard TD pass from Price to Michael Hartvigson with 30 seconds to play.

Oregon’s offense, however, got on track after halftime.

The Ducks took the second-half kickoff and marched 90 yards in 12 plays, requiring 2:25 for a drive capped by a 1-yard run from Kenyon Barner.

Washington answered with a 75-yard drive that took nine plays and 3:44, scoring on a 10-yard pass from Price to Kasen Williams.

Oregon bounced back with a six-play, 70-yard drive that ended with a 9-yard scoring run by De’Anthony Thomas.

Suddenly, it was 31-17 in favor of Oregon, and the game appeared like the fast-paced shootout it was expected to be.

But the defenses regained control, despite a one-play appearance by Washington backup quarterback Nick Montana, who threw a 53-yard pass to Williams after Price had the wind knocked out of him.

Don't Do Stupid Stuff Mugs