Workers carry burning stove out of restaurant

By Mark Bowder, Columbian assistant metro editor

Published:

 
115 E. Seventh St.

Firefighters responding to a report of a stove fire in a Vancouver restaurant late Saturday were met with something unexpected when they arrived at the scene.

It was the stove, still burning, sitting on a sidewalk outside.

Workers at Malibu’s, 115 E. Seventh St., had carried the burning electric range outside after a fire extinguisher didn’t put out the fire, said Capt. Kevin Murray of the Vancouver Fire Department.

Murray said fire officials do not recommend taking that sort of initiative.

“Whether it’s a pan or an appliance, you don’t want to take the risk of carrying it through the building while it’s burning,” Murray said. “We recommend to discharge the fire extinguisher, call 911 and evacuate the building.”

Crews responding to the 9:51 p.m. incident used another extinguisher to finish off the fire, Murray said. They also worked to clear smoke from the business and from another business that had shared second-story space.

No one was injured. A fire marshal was being called in to investigate.