LUCIA FALLS STANDOFF ENDS Woman shot, drives herself to hospital; boyfriend surrenders

SWAT standoff ends after three hours; woman in serious condition




A standoff with SWAT officers ended after more than three hours Monday night with the surrender of a man who allegedly shot his girlfriend in the head while she slept.

The alleged gunman, Michael T. Boswell, 29, a resident of Georgia, was arrested on suspicion of first-degree assault, according to a bulletin from Sgt. Scott Schanaker with Clark County Sheriff’s Office.

The victim, who reportedly drove herself to Legacy Salmon Creek Medical Center, was later transferred to Portland’s Legacy Emanuel Medical Center, a major trauma center. She was listed in serious condition Monday night. Schanaker did not reveal her name.

The case surfaced about 4 p.m. when the woman was shot at a home along Lucia Falls Road and drove herself to Legacy Salmon Creek, authorities said.

The woman said her boyfriend shot her in the head, while she slept in their home, with a .22-caliber revolver, the bulletin said.

She said Boswell had been despondent about their relationship.

SWAT officers with an armored vehicle converged around the house at 17605 N.E. Lucia Falls Road, where the suspect was barricaded, refusing to come outside and threatening to harm himself. No one other than Boswell was in the home.

Traffic was stopped in the area around the home.

Paramedics and an ambulance were called to stand by near the Heisson Bridge.

Officers radioed that they were looking for the woman’s boyfriend and the gun that was used in the shooting.

Officers took positions around the home. At one or more points during the standoff, the man was inside holding a knife to his throat, police said.

Negotiators spoke with Boswell by phone, asking him to surrender. Meanwhile, SWAT officers were positioning armored equipment and spotlights around the house and mapping the scene. They worked out their lines of fire so that, if they had to shoot, no one else would be hit.

Officers also had a less-lethal gun that can injure and bring someone down, often without killing the person.

At one point, an officer radioed that the man said he took 50 pills the night before in a suicide attempt.

Officers watched the home’s windows and radioed when they saw the man and what he was doing.

Shortly after 7 p.m., a negotiator said Boswell had agreed to come outside. Officers told him to keep his jacket open. He then walked out with his cell phone in one hand and holding the other hand up so officers could see it.

When he stepped out, officers searched him for weapons.

The sheriff’s Major Crimes Unit is investigating.

The owners of the home are William and Janet Fix, according to county records.

John Branton: 360-735-4513 or