Blast tied to tofu pan puzzles Portland officials
Monday, November 28, 2011
PORTLAND, Ore. (AP) -- Fire investigators in Portland, Ore., are trying to figure out how cleaning a pan of tofu could cause an explosion that broke out a window and resulted in $15,000 of damage.
Fire Bureau spokesman Paul Corah tells The Oregonian (http://bit.ly/vLTwjn ) that a woman in the Old Town district said she cooked tofu Sunday night, and as she washed the pan, a blast knocked a 4-by-6-foot window into the street.
Corah says the 25-year-old woman could tell investigators only that the hot pan "flashed" as she rinsed it. She suffered a slight hand burn.
Corah says investigators found no evidence of a fire, and natural gas is not suspected. He says investigators are calling other West Coast fire agencies for advice.
Information from: The Oregonian, http://www.oregonlive.com