HONG KONG (AP) -- Rory McIlroy has decided to stay home next year for the Irish Open instead of returning to the scene of his record U.S. Open win.
McIlroy said Wednesday at the Hong Kong Open that he will "definitely play" the Irish Open, to be held June 28 through July 1. That's the same week as the AT&T National at Congressional, the course where McIlroy won the U.S. Open by eight shots with a record score of 16-under 268.
The Irish Open had been played at the end of July last year.
The 22-year-old from Northern Ireland says the Irish Open is one of the most important events on his calendar.