Ore. homes evacuated after natural gas leak
Wednesday, November 30, 2011
BROOKS, Ore. (AP) -- Fire officials in the Willamette Valley say a natural gas leak prompted them to evacuate 10 homes and a business and close a road Wednesday night south of Brooks, Ore.
Battalion Chief Patrick Wineman with Marion County Fire District No. 1 says firefighters found a large leak coming from a valve station owned by NW Natural Gas when they responded about 7:15 p.m.
Due to the potential for explosion, Portland Road was closed in both directions and nearby residents were asked to leave.
Wineman says gas company employees were able to stop the leak by 8:40 p.m. Residents have returned to their homes and the road has reopened.