Steam flash caused tofu explosion in Portland
Wednesday, November 30, 2011
PORTLAND, Ore. (AP) -- Portland fire investigators have determined how a pan of tofu exploded, blowing out a window and causing $15,000 damage.
The Fire Bureau said Wednesday that the woman cooking the tofu for dinner Sunday attempted to put out a grease fire by putting the pan in a sink of water. That caused a massive steam eruption that pushed out the window and activated a sprinkler.
The 25-year-old woman initially told firefighters the hot pan flashed as she rinsed it. She suffered a slight hand burn.
The blast knocked the 4-by-6-foot window into the street.