T-shirt resting on fireplace door caused Felida house fire

By Paul Suarez, Columbian web producer

Published:

Updated: October 4, 2011, 7:26 PM

 

Officials determined a T-shirt caused a house fire that displaced four residents of a Felida home Sunday evening.

The fire was reported at 9 p.m. Sunday at 11317 N.E. 12th Ave. It sparked from a T-shirt resting against a metal door on the back of the fireplace, said Dawn Johnson, spokeswoman with Fire District 6. The door, which is used to remove ash, got too hot and ignited the shirt.

The blaze destroyed part of the garage and caused smoke damage to the rest of the home. The fire caused $50,000 in property damage and $15,000 in loss of contents, Johnson said.

Four residents were displaced and were set to receive assistance from the Red Cross, Johnson said Sunday.

The home is owned by Robert and Tammy Kellar of Vancouver, who rent the home to the displaced tenants.

Repairs will take four to five months as crews take out all of the drywall and anything else that soaked up the smoke, Tammy Kellar said Tuesday.

The renters need to find another place to live while the home is repaired and lost some personal items in the fire, she said.