Best Western near mall evacuated after fire sparks in laundry room

By Paul Suarez, Columbian web producer

Published:

Updated: October 6, 2011, 8:25 PM

 

A laundry room fire caused a temporary evacuation of the Best Western near the Westfield Vancouver mall on Thursday afternoon.

The fire was reported just before 1 p.m. at 9420 N.E. Vancouver Mall Drive.

The fire started in a water heater in the building’s laundry room. When firefighters arrived they discovered the sprinklers activated in the room and there was no active fire, according to radio traffic monitored at The Columbian.

“Something got hot enough to trip the sprinkler systems,” said Capt. Kevin Murray, with the Vancouver Fire Department.

“The sprinkler system did its job then we came along and did our job,” he said.

Damage was minimal and limited to the room, Murray said.