Thursday, October 6, 2011
Tsugawa Nursery: 410 E. Scott Ave., Woodland. One- to two-hour seminars and events. Events are free unless noted. Registration is required. * 360-225-8750 or http://tsugawanursery.com.
• Create Your Own Bonsai: 11 a.m. Oct. 15. Learn how the process begins. Arrive early to pick out supplies. $35.
• Bonsai Group: 1 p.m. Oct. 15. Tips from experienced bonsai enthusiasts.
• Pruning Japanese Maples: 11 a.m. Oct. 22. Learn the tips and techniques to get the most from your Japanese maple.
Urban Growers Market: 4-8 p.m. Oct. 14, One World, 2315 Main St. Market features backyard growers, farmers, food vendors and local artisans. * 360-737-8298 or http://urbangrowersmarket.com.
Master Composter/Recycler Composting Workshops: Events are free unless noted. Registration is required. * http://www.columbiasprings.org/mcr/classes.html or 360-882-0936, ext. 224.
• Backyard Composting Workshops: 10 a.m. to noon Oct. 8, Columbia Springs, 12208 S.E. Evergreen Highway. Tips on starting a compost pile, when it is finished and what type of bin to use.
• Family Wormshop: 10 a.m. to noon Oct. 15, Columbia Springs, 12208 S.E. Evergreen Highway; and 10 a.m. to noon Nov. 5, Heritage Farm, 1919 N.E. 78th St. The basics of vermicomposting. Worm bin and worms are provided. Children must be at least 5 years old to participate. Preregistration must be made a week prior to class to get worms, $35 per family.
Garden Smarter Not Harder: 9 to 11 a.m. Oct. 8 and 15, Stout Hall, Clark College, 1933 Fort Vancouver Way. Tips on weed suppression, mulching, retaining walls and fences, drainage techniques and how to determine the correct tool for the job, $45. Item No. F072, Thom McConathy.
Encouraging Fall Planting: 1 p.m. Oct. 10, Pleasant Hill Nursery, 20001 N.E. 259th St., Battle Ground. Learn the benefits of planting in the fall. Registration required. * email@example.com or 360-263-8890.
Grow Winter Vegetables and Prepare the Garden for Winter: 10 a.m. to noon Oct. 15 at CASEE, 11104 N.E. 149th St., room 205, Brush Prairie. Learn techniques for a successful extended gardening season, frost dates, seed for overwintering vegetables and improve your garden for the spring season. Free to NatureScaping members; $15 for nonmembers. * Register: firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.
Annual Chrysanthemum Show: Noon to 5 p.m. Oct. 29 and 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Oct. 30. Presentation by Sogetsu School of Ikebana at 2 p.m. Oct. 29. Plants and blooms will be for sale at the event at Clark Public Utilities Building Community Room, 1200 Fort Vancouver Way. Show entries must be submitted from 1 to 6 p.m. Oct. 28. Show admission is free.
Camas-Washougal Community Garden Club: 1 p.m. Oct. 26 at Camas Community Center, 1718 S.E. Seventh St., Camas. Gardeners welcome. * 360-210-8012.
Vancouveria Garden Club: 12:30 to 3 p.m. the third Tuesday of every month, Covington House, 4201 Main St. * 360-936-6515.
Vancouver Chrysanthemum Society: 2:30 p.m. the third Monday of every month, Heritage Farm, 1919 N.E. 78th St. 360-896-7278.
Send information to firstname.lastname@example.org.