Attorney: More retirees filing lawsuit vs. NFLPA
Wednesday, October 12, 2011
MINNEAPOLIS (AP) -- More former players have filed another lawsuit against the NFL Players Association, saying better retirement benefits were sacrificed so current players could keep more money.
Attorney Shawn Stuckey told The Associated Press on Wednesday he filed the complaint in federal court for 19 retired players including former Chicago receiver Willie Gault and running back Hugh McElhenny, who starred for San Francisco in the 1950s.
Stuckey said more retirees came forward after he filed a lawsuit against the NFLPA last month that seeks at least $5 million in damages on behalf of a group of 28 ex-players, mostly Hall of Famers. Judge Susan Richard Nelson gave the union until Nov. 7 to respond to that complaint. The cases could be combined.
An NFLPA spokesman didn't immediately return a message seeking comment.