Man shot by deputy sues Washington County
Thursday, September 1, 2011
PORTLAND, Ore. (AP) — A man who was wounded last year by a Washington County sheriff's deputy has filed a civil lawsuit against the county and the deputies involved.
The suit filed Tuesday in federal court in Portland is seeking an amount of money to be determined at a trial.
The Oregonian reports 49-year-old Leonard Salanitro of Orange, Calif., was shot Sept. 21, 2010, while staying at the home of friends in suburban Portland. Deputies went to the home that night to follow a report the resident had kicked a neighbor's truck. Salanitro says he was shot without warning when he entered the room.
Sheriff Rob Gordon said the shooting was justified because Salanitro attacked a deputy.
The district attorney's office has not said whether the shooting was justified.