Mountain View rolls past Evergreen

Thunder win big, but evaluation still to come

By Greg Jayne, Columbian Opinion Editor



Video highlights from week 1 Mountain View vs. Evergreen, courtesy of special to 360Preps. Full highlight videos are available at

The performance seemed flawless, but the verdict has yet to be rendered.

“We’ll know when we watch the film,” Mountain View coach Adam Mathieson said. “The scoreboard doesn’t tell us a lot.”

So true.

Because the final score — Mountain View 49, Evergreen 7 — didn’t really tell the story Friday at McKenzie Stadium.

Mountain View led 35-0 at halftime, built it to 49-0 early in the fourth quarter, and basically did whatever it wanted in the non-league contest. The Thunder finished with 344 yards on the ground and 113 through the air — despite the fact the final 20 minutes were played with a running clock.

Nick Mace rushed for 130 yards and three touchdowns, while Sterling Reynolds added 73 yards on the ground and 72 receiving yards.

“The O-line,” Mace said when asked the key to the game. “The bigger the holes, the easier it is to run. The line was phenomenal.”

Evergreen ran for a first down on the second play of the game then punted three plays later. From there, it was all Mountain View.

Mace opened the scoring with a 4-yard run on the Thunder’s opening drive, an 86-yard march with all the yards coming on the ground.

Reynolds made it 14-0 early in the second quarter on a 54-yard reception from quarterback Riley O’Dell, and O’Dell added a 51-yard touchdown run moments later.

“I just turned up in the hole, got a great block from Mark Hartley, and was wide open,” O’Dell said.

A touchdown by Connor Atchison and another from O’Dell made it 35-0 by the half — before Evergreen recorded its second first down.

“I was proud of the effort,” Mathieson said. “It was a pretty clean game. We probably did a decent job of stopping the run; we probably did a decent job at the line of scrimmage.”

Considering that Evergreen finished with 109 yards of total offense, many of those coming in the fourth quarter, Mathieson’s early assessment is pretty accurate.

For Evergreen, the highlights were few. But the Plainsmen put together a long touchdown drive in the fourth quarter, capped by a 4-yard run from quarterback Anthony Thomas. And Tequan Wallace had two long kickoff returns.

“We were hoping for a better game,” Wallace said. “We were hoping it would be closer. We’ll just work on improving everything we were doing.”

As will Mountain View. Because the Thunder face Camas next week in a game that could eventually decide the Class 3A Greater St. Helens League title.

“We just want to look at the game ahead and not overlook anybody,” Reynolds said. “We’re just going to flush this and look forward to Camas.”


Evergreen 0 0 0 7— 7

Mountain View 7 28 7 7—49

First quarter

MV — Nick Mace 4 run (Chavo Camargo kick)

Second quarter

MV—Sterling Reynolds 54 from Riley O’Dell (Camargo kick)

MV — O’Dell 51 run (Camargo kick)

MV — Connor Atchison 1 run (Camargo kick)

MV — O’Dell 1 run (Camargo kick)

Third quarter

MV — Mace 1 run (Camargo kick)

Fourth quarter

MV — Mace 20 run (Camargo kick)

E — Anthony Thomas 4 run (Timur Zhividze kick)

Individual stats

Rushing — Mountain View — Nick Mace 18-130, Sterling Reynolds 13-73, Riley O’Dell 4-55, Michael Rivers 6-40, Connor Atchison 3-23, Mark Hartley 1-17, Michael Nadig 1-4, Avi Bharth 1-2, Justin Rinta 1-0, Austin Mace 1-0; Evergreen— Justin Straup 4-42, Jesse Saulo 6-12, Ray Donalde 2-7, Vincent Williams 1-6, Jared Telles 5-4, Anthony thomas 9-1.

Passing — Mountain View — Riley O’Dell 5-8-113-0; Evergreen — Anthony Thomas 2-7-37-1.

Receiving — Mountain View—Sterling Reynolds 3-72, Mark Hartley 2-41; Evergreen—Brody Bagnall 2-37.