Lawnmower mishap knocks out power at Battle Ground High School
Thursday, September 15, 2011
Students and staff at Battle Ground High School lost power for part of Thursday afternoon after a lawnmower accidentally hit a guide wire near a power pole, according to Clark Public Utilities.
The mishap knocked out power for most of the school at about 2 p.m., said Battle Ground Public Schools Communications Director Gregg Herrington. Clark Public Utilities shut the line down at 3:15 p.m. to fix damage, said utility spokeswoman Erica Erland. Power was turned back on just after 4 p.m., she said.
Erland said she believed the outage only affected the high school.
The outage didn't cause a major interruption to the Battle Ground school day, though classes did rely on natural daylight and battery-powered lights toward the end of the afternoon, according to Herrington. A freshman football game began later without an electronic scoreboard or clock, but otherwise progressed just fine, he said.
Battle Ground High School will open at its normal time Friday.