IOC chief says Olympic security is top priority
Thursday, September 22, 2011
BEIJING (AP) -- The president of the International Olympic Committee says the governing body is working with London organizers to ensure adequate security is in place for next year's Summer Games following the recent riots in the city.
Jacque Rogge told a news conference Friday that preparations are under way for the 2012 Olympics in London to heighten safety measures after civil unrest in the capital last month forced police to reassess their plans for the games.
London expects to have 10,500 athletes from more than 200 countries and hundreds of thousands of visitors for the 17-day event.