Junior walk-on wins quarterback job at UConn
Tuesday, September 27, 2011
STORRS, Conn. (AP) -- Connecticut apparently has found its first-string quarterback.
Coach Paul Pasqualoni says junior Johnny McEntee has clearly separated himself from the other two who had been competing for the position -- freshman Michael Nebrich and redshirt freshman Scott McCummings.
McEntee threw for 213 yards and two touchdowns in the Huskies 17-3 win last Saturday against Buffalo, and Pasqualoni says the walk-on is getting better at reading defenses.
McEntee, who received the news from the media Tuesday, says he won't approach this weekend's game against Western Michigan (2-2) any differently than his other four starts.
Pasqualoni, who also has been juggling players on the offensive line and at receiver, says he now feels UConn (2-2) has all the pieces in the right places.