COOS BAY, Ore. (AP) -- Oregon authorities say a Coos Bay-area mobile home fire that killed two women and left a man in critical condition likely started because of smoking in bed.
In a bedroom where the fire apparently started Sunday, firefighters found the bodies of 67-year-old Elaine Lowry and 56-year-old Diana Hammans of Lakeside. The World newspaper reports that Lowry lived at the home and Hammans was spending the weekend.
Coos County District Attorney R. Paul Frasier says the women apparently died of smoke inhalation. Hospitalized with smoke inhalation was 69-year-old Charles Mitchell, who also lived at the house.
Fire officials say the mobile home had working smoke detectors.